The Causes of Ovarian Cancer - and how they were discovered
According to the popular press, the causes of ovarian cancer remain largely a mystery. As I will show you, the true causes were discovered over 60 years ago. The real mystery is why this has been kept away from the public and orthodox western medicine. The GOOD NEWS is that as you understand the causes of ovarian cancer, or any cancer, you gain the power to control and manage it. So this page discusses:
- Edinburgh University embryologist Professor John Beard's work on pregnant mother/baby cancers when he found that if a baby's pancreas failed to develop then baby and mother died of cancer.
- Biochemist Ernest T Krebbs Jr's work following epidemiological style studies of 'native' peoples around the world who were free of cancer and other degenerative 'western' diseases - concentrating on their diet and lack of chemical influences.
- The common factor in cancers: Cell Damage.
- The further development of Professor Beard's work by the biochemists E T Krebbs (Senior and Junior) and Howard H Beard (of the Cancer Clinic, Holy Cross Hospital, Chicago, Illinois) into The Unitarian or Trophoblastic Thesis of Cancer^1
- The sequence that leads to cancer and the Solution - breaking the sequence; and
- Some Damaging Chemicals and their sources that you can identify and avoid
Whilst the personal, family experiences that I am bringing to this web site relate to ovarian cancer (and understanding the causes of ovarian cancer), it seems clear that much of what I have found is relevant to all cancers (see the Unitarian Thesis below).
Embryonic Stem Cells and the Cancer Connection
Embryologist Professor John Beard of Edinburgh University discovered in around 1900 that the hormone oestrogen (or estrogen (US spelling)) is used in pregnancy to stimulate some embryonic stem cells into rapid multiplication. Beard called this growing cell mass a 'trophoblast'. Beard proposed that in pregnancy the trophoblast's purpose is to etch away part of the uterus wall to enable the embryo to attach, beginning the development of placenta and umbilical cord. From the 56th day of pregnancy the baby's pancreas starts emitting its enzymes which break down the outer coating of the trophoblast cells and the immune system then finishes off the remainder of the cells.
Beard's research revealed that the trophoblast cells look just like malignant cancer cells. He saw that if the baby's pancreas failed then the trophoblast wasn't stopped from growing and both mother and child died from cancer. The 'cancer' was the uncontrolled proliferation of trophoblast cells across the body.^2
Beard's solution was to treat patients with the pancreatic enzymes trypsin and chymotrypsin together with other vital nutrients. This he carried on doing until he stopped practising medicine (he died in 1924).
back to top
Cancer Free Societies - What's different?
Krebs was studying cultures unaffected by cancer, excited by the information brought back by explorers such as Roald Amundsen about peoples who simply had NO cancer.
Commentaries from a number of doctors and others working in Africa and with Eskimos supported the lack of cancer in these 'native' peoples. Some went further to note that when these 'primitive' people become 'modernised' then the incidence of cancer rises to match the normal 'western' levels.^3
There were two common elements different between the 'primitive' peoples in their normal habitat and the western, civilised life: their diets were significantly, and consistently different and they lacked any of the chemical influences on their life that benefit or afflict (according to your point of view) the west.
back to top
Damage - the Common Factor
Everyone associates damage of different sorts with different cancers, eg:
- smoking with lung cancer
- sunburn with skin cancer
but no directly comparable cause of ovarian cancer has been identified. Various risk factors are discussed on sites such as Cancer Research UK.
Trophoblast and the Healing Process as a Cause of Ovarian Cancer (of all cancer)
Stem cells also exist in the body for healing. When the body is injured the hormone oestrogen (estrogen) again stimulates the stem cells, this time to produce a trophoblast that covers the injury site. The stem cells then integrate themselves into the body part being repaired. When that healing work is done pancreatic enzymes should terminate the process.
When the healing process has started, if the levels of pancreatic enzymes in your body are low, then the process may not get stopped and the trophoblast can continue to grow into what we now recognise as a tumour.
Damaged tissue becomes depolarised and then current flows between the depolarised and normally polarised areas. This is called the Current of Injury^4. It keeps flowing until the injury is repaired. Canadian researcher Ron Gdanski described how infection, disrupting the healing process, can keep the current of injury flowing - leading to cancer^5. The dietary influence on that is discussed here - showing that diet is linked to the causes of ovarian cancer (& other cancers).
back to top
The Unitarian or Trophoblastic Thesis of Cancer
There is a theory that all cancers are fundamentally the same. The paper published on this Unitarian or Trophoblastic Thesis of Cancer^5 starts with the statement:
"It is veritably impossible to find, among the hundreds of valid experimental contributions to our knowledge of cancer made during the past half century,an experimentally established datum that would controvert the thesis of the basic biological uniformity characterizing all exhibitions of cancer."
It goes on to refer specifically to 21 other studies showing that many biological aspects from different cancers remain surprisingly uniform from cancer to cancer. The authors' analysis of these previous studies also showed that the more malignant the cancers involved the greater the uniformity in the various test results.
Their analysis lead them to the view that the malignant component in cancer cells has to be both a 'primitive' cell type and also appear somewhere in the normal life-cycle. This in turn lead to the conclusion that this malignant cell was the trophoblast cell (referred to above).
If the theory is valid the most malignant cancer tumours would be comprised of almost all trophoblast cells, while less malignant tumours would have fewer trophoblast cells and more 'normal' cells relating to the tissue type of the affected organ.
Evidence supporting this is the fact that when pregnancy trophoblast goes on to become malignant (then called primary uterine chorionepithelioma - cancer of the uterus - which is fiercely malignant) the cells are identical to (though an exaggeration of) normal pregnancy trophoblast.
Again, if the theory is right and cancer is unitarian in nature, you should see trophoblast cells in males with cancer and also then the trophoblast's hormone chorionic gonadotrophin (see here for testing for that). Neither the trophoblast nor its hormone has been found in males except as cancer.
The same is true for females outside normal pregnancy.
back to top
The Significance of the Unitarian Thesis on the Causes of Ovarian Cancer (and all other cancers) and their Treatment
The Unitarian Thesis states that, if it is correct, tumours have to be made of two types of cells: the malignant trophoblast cells and benign (harmless) organ-type cells. The overall malignancy of a tumour depends on the relative mix of these cells.
It is the mixing of these two cell types that leads to the paradox that, to doctors looking at patients with specific cancers each type of cancer appears different, whilst laboratory cellular analysis indicates great similarity between them. The organ-type tumour cells can mask the trophoblast cells and so present 'different' cancers seemingly calling for different treatments.
It seems to me, writing about this, that this could also explain why some conventional chemotherapy treatments seem to work better on one cancer rather than another - it's the interaction with the non-trophoblast cells giving the differing results.
Examination of tumour cells in the laboratory (following biopsy) provides an indication of whether a tumour is malignant or benign. Once you have been diagnosed with cancer, however, the main ongoing assessment of treatment progress is through scans (MRI, CT, PET or ultrasound) looking at the size of tumours and sometimes blood tests.
It also seems to me, then, that if a tumour is made up of both benign and malignant cells, a large mainly benign tumour is less concerning than a small highly malignant one. How do the oncologists know whether the chemotherapy has reduced the malignant cells and not just the benign ones if they are judging on size alone?
If the chemotherapy is truly effective and kills primarily the malignant element, do the oncologists know when to stop giving their patient these toxic chemicals? Questions worth asking!?
If they are also using blood tests are they testing for the hormone associated with the trophoblast or for the reaction of the organ-type cells to the presence of the cancer? They may give very different results!
The body is complicated and cancer as a part of that is no exception. The Unitarian Thesis is put forward as a theory, a possible explanation for cancer. The paper authors point out, though, that it fits all the known facts where no competing theory of a multitude of different cancer diseases can.
It should therefore be the theory to follow - until someone disproves it and that hasn't happened yet!
It also has profound implications for easier cancer detection through the normal pregnancy test and for monitoring during treatment.
back to top
The sequence that is the cause of ovarian cancer and every other cancer and 'The Solution'
Following the above theory (which has never been overturned - just ignored!) cancer is caused by 3 steps:
- There has to be damage to the body - such as a physical blow, a burn or absorption of carcinogens (eg smoke, chemical toxins, petroleum products,etc);
- The damage has to be severe enough (immediately or maybe through accumulated action like repeated x-ray radiation) to stimulate the current of injury; and
- The healing process is not turned off when the repair is done, but continues to grow a tumour (as referred to above).
The solution therefore is simply as follows:
- Stop the damage being caused to the body;
- Ensure that once healed, the healing process is turned off; and
- Clear out the toxins and consequent 'debris' that have accumulated in the body and maintain the right nutritional balance to prevent the cancer causing circumstances from reoccurring.
This is what B17 Metabolic Therapy is all about - whilst 'simple' (ie not complicated) it does take some effort! Click on 'THE Natural Therapy' button at the top of the page or here to read more about it.
How do you stop the damage if the specific damage causes of ovarian cancer (or any other cancer) are not known?
Krebs also realised that the many 'native' peoples, such as the Hunzas in Pakistan, living on native foods with no cancer were also free of the western chemical dependence/exposure.
If the specific cause of ovarian cancer or agent of damage is not known then a precautionary approach is needed to eliminate all potentially damaging chemicals and processes.
Have a look at the chemicals in everyday products you use in the following list:
- Soaps and shampoos containing sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) (or sulfate (US spelling)) or its derivatives sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) and others - harsh detergents which irritate the skin (and more).
- Toothpastes containing SLS too as well as sodium fluoride (or other forms of fluoride). Sodium fluoride is a component of rat poison! More studies have shown fluoride compounds to be harmful to teeth than to be beneficial and studies claiming dental benefit have been condemned as seriously flawed. It is also stated to cause more human cancer deaths than any other chemical^6.
- Beauty creams, makeup, cleansers containing Propylene Glycol (used as a wetting or moistening agent). The Material Safety Data Sheet for this product warns you on any contact with the skin to thoroughly wash with sopa and water. Even in low concentrations it is a skin irritant; it also causes kidney and liver damage.
- Skin softening lotions (and other personal care products) containing Diethanolamine (DEA) (sometimes as Cocamide DEA or Lauramide DEA) or the Mono- or Tri- versions (MEA, TEA). These chemicals are now known to be carcinogenic as well as reacting with Nitrates in some products to form potentially carcinogenoc nitrosamines^7.
- Exfoliants containing Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) - intended to clear dead cells and 'debris' from the skin, but also destroys skin cells and the skin's protective barrier (so may cause long term skin damage).
- Mouthwashes that contain high levels of alcohol. A 1991 study implicated mouthwashes with 25% or more alcohol content in mouth, tongue and throat cancers. A major manufacturer then significantly reduced its mouthwash alcohol content from the previous 26.9%.
- Talcum powder - inhaling talc may be harmful (as with any fine 'dust' it could be a potential carcinogen); and given its long time use for genital hygiene, at least one source states that it is 'widely recognised' as a leading cause of ovarian cancer^8 (though other information sources are more ambivalent about that).
- Baby oils containing Mineral Oil - a petroleum derivative used as a cutting and lubrication oil in industry. It forms an oily film over the skin and keeps oxygen out.
- Foundations and face powders containing Kaolin or Bentonite. These are clays that can smother the skin preventing normal skin respiration. The same applies to collagen, elastin and petrolatum.
None of these compounds are necessary, they are often included because they are a cheap way of achieving what the consumer (ie you and me) is trained by advertising to expect and want.
They can be avoided by:
- careful scrutiny of ingredients lists (never go shopping without your reading glasses!) and sometimes buying from specialist 'natural health' shops; or
- by buying direct on-line or by phone from a few trusted companies whose principal aim is the production of safe, quality personal and household care products.
The first method is time consuming and at times difficult and relatively expensive. Fortunately Professor Samuel S Epstein MD, the chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition has researched the second option for us and recommends one company's cosmetic and toiletry products as safe and free of harmful ingredients. Medical researcher Phillip Day has also researched this company and endorses Dr Epstein's recommendation.
I have incorporated this company's nutritional supplements and personal care products into my family's routines. There may be other companies out there now doing something similar, but if you want to know more about this company please contact me to discuss the best way for you to buy from them.
back to top
Return to Ovarian Cancer Survivors from Causes of Ovarian Cancer
1. Ernst T Krebs Sr, Ernst T Krebs Jr and Howard H Beard, The Unitarian or Trophoblastic Thesis of Cancer, The Medical Record published July 1950. (Re-printed in 'B17 metabolic Therapy in the prevention and control of cancer - a technical manual' compiled by Phillip Day)
2. Research conclusions described in Griffin, G Edward World Without Cancer published by American Media 1996 and also discussed in Vialls, Joe Laetrile: Another Suppression Story at www.livelinks.com/sumeria; Cancer Control Journal, Vol 6, No. 1-6 )
3. Stancho, Stanislas Memoir on the Frequency of Cancer (1843), Jones, Rev Livingstone French A Study of the Thlingets of Alaska, New York 1914 and Hutton, Samuel King Among the Eskimos of Labrador, London and Philadelphia 1912
4. Described in relation to the effects of a heart attack in Guyton, Arthur Text Book of Medical Physiology published by W B Saunders Co. ISBN 0-7216-4394-9)
5. Described in Gdanski, Ron Cancer: Cause, Cure and Cover-up Published by Nadex Publishing 2000)
6. Dr Dean Burk of the National Cancer Institute quoted in Phillip Day Health Wars Credence Publications 2007, Chapter 6
7. Samuel S Epstein The Politics of Cancer Revisited, East Ridge PRess, 1998, p479
8. D Steinman and Samuel S Epstein The Safe Shopper's Bible p259